Saturday, November 28, 2009

Girls Night Mixer



Last Friday I have attended this amazing event-Girls Night Mixer organized by Veronique da Silva, very talented photographer.
I tried to remember how I "met" Veronique. I cannot remember for sure, but I think it was on Twitter(not surprising). Somebody must have Tweeted about the last Girls Night Mixer and I was immediately interested. I love meeting new people-and if it's a group of strong, inspiring women-who would not want to meet them?

As soon as I found out about the mixer I messaged Veronique and she immediately put me on her mailing list and told me that I would hear from her when the next mixer is announced.

Since then, she has hooked me up with very interesting project -making Chanel style crocodile clutches out of Origami-but I will need an entirely different blog post on that!

Anyhow, I have been eagerly waiting for the next mixer and when it was finally announced to be on November 27th-I RSVPed right away. Later Veronique told me I was the first to respond. :)

75 spots were immediately sold out.

The event was also a fundraiser for Bridges for Women-a local NPO to support women with histories with any kind of abuse. There were raffles, as well as donation box.
The venue was fantastic Union Pacific -This was my first time there but I am sure I will go back often from now on.

When I walked in the door I was immediately greeted by beautiful Veronique-this was my second time actually seeing her in person and I had not realized how tall she was! (I'm only about 5'1)
The room was filled with fabulously dressed women and great energy. I don't usually care for "mixers" -often people are on a mission to network for sales and it's a major turn off for me, but this night was different-all amazing women who felt strongly about making a difference.

It was also great to finally meet Nicole Sims-I met her through Twitter as well, and I've tweeted with her and seen her photos, but this was the first time we met, and I am really glad we did. We hit it off right away. She is friendly, funny, and seemed very genuine.
She helped Veronique with this event all along with her amazing graphic design. She did a small speech about how she met Veronique-totally by chance, and wasn't even in Victoria-but that's how almost all the amazing connections happen. This is why I believe there is no such thing as coincidence...

Another person I was looking forward to meet in person was Beth-she blogs here and I really enjoyed her post about how women have confidence in others but not for herself.
Does this sound familiar to you? So true, isn't it?
My mantra these days is "believe"-My favorite quote I use in my email signature is this ;
"Believe it can be done. When you believe something can be done, really believe, your mind will find the ways to do it. Believing a solution paves the way to solution."- Dr. David Schwartz
I used the idea of this quote and really trying to believe in myself-and also REALLY believe in what I want to accomplish. Don't listen to your negative tape in your head that says that you are not good enough, or this is too hard for you-who said that, anyway?
It's just you keep playing the tape over and over again in the auto-repeat.
I really had a good chat about it with Beth. Thanks for the great conversation.

For the raffles I've donated Babes Go Bare For Cancer calendars-project led by yet another amazing woman Trish-hopefully the raffle winners can spread the words about the campaign.
Please visit Babes Go Bare For Cancer website for more info, and please buy the calendar.
These are very brave, strong women posed for the cause-their stories are all amazing.
ALL the proceeds will go to BC Cancer Foundation. You can buy it online from the website, or you can buy them at Rocky Mountain Soap Company in Mayfair mall.

Being a mom, I'm usually exhausted by 9pm. But I managed to stay awake until midnight-woo hoo! Thank you so much for organizing this amazing event-you truly are an inspiration Veronique! Can't wait for the next one.

More photos from the event done by professional Jenna
is here. Fantastic photos!